Barren Island, located in the Andaman Sea, is the only active volcano in India. It is a popular destination for tourists who want to witness the spectacular beauty of the island and indulge in activities like fishing and snorkeling. Private boat charters are a great way to explore the island as they offer a more personalized experience and allow visitors to customize their itinerary.
In this article, we will discuss private boat charters to Barren Island for fishing and snorkeling. We will cover everything from the best time to visit the island to the activities you can indulge in and the equipment you will need.
Best Time to Visit Barren Island
Barren Island is open to tourists throughout the year. However, the best time to visit the island is between November and April when the sea is calm and the weather is pleasant. During these months, the visibility in the water is also good, making it an ideal time for snorkeling and fishing.
Choosing the Right Private Boat Charter
When choosing a private boat charter to Barren Island, it is important to consider a few factors to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. Some of the factors to consider are:
- Experience – Choose a boat charter that has experienced crew members who are knowledgeable about the waters around Barren Island and can provide guidance on fishing and snorkeling.
- Safety – Ensure that the boat charter follows all safety regulations and has all the necessary safety equipment.
- Equipment – Choose a boat charter that provides good quality fishing and snorkeling equipment.
- Amenities – Choose a boat charter that provides basic amenities like a toilet, fresh water, and a shaded area to rest.
- Reviews – Read reviews and ratings of the boat charter online to ensure that it has a good reputation and provides a satisfactory experience to its customers.
- Cost – Consider the cost of the boat charter and compare it with other charters to ensure that it provides value for money.
Fishing at Barren Island
Fishing is a popular activity among visitors who want to explore the waters around Barren Island. The waters around the island are home to a variety of fish species like tuna, barracuda, and mackerel. Visitors can either bring their own fishing equipment or rent it from the boat charter. The boat crew will also provide guidance on the best fishing spots and techniques.
Types of Fishing
There are several types of fishing that visitors can indulge in while visiting Barren Island. The most common types are:
- Bottom Fishing – Bottom fishing involves dropping the bait to the bottom of the sea bed and waiting for the fish to bite. This type of fishing is ideal for catching species like snappers, groupers, and emperors.
- Trolling – Trolling involves moving the boat slowly while dragging a line with bait or lure behind it. This type of fishing is ideal for catching species like tuna, barracuda, and mackerel.
- Jigging – Jigging involves jerking the bait or lure up and down to attract fish. This type of fishing is ideal for catching species like kingfish and amberjack
Snorkeling at Barren Island
Snorkeling is another popular activity among visitors who want to explore the marine life around Barren Island. The crystal-clear waters around the island offer excellent visibility, allowing visitors to witness the rich marine life. Visitors can bring their own snorkeling equipment or rent it from the boat charter. The boat crew will also guide the best snorkeling spots and ensure the safety of visitors.
Types of Snorkeling
There are several types of snorkeling that visitors can indulge in while visiting Barren Island. The major types of snorkeling are discussed below.
- Reef Snorkeling – Reef snorkeling involves exploring the coral reefs around the island and witnessing the diverse marine life that lives in these ecosystems.
- Open Water Snorkeling – Open water snorkeling involves exploring the waters around the island and witnessing the marine life that lives in the open sea. This type of snorkeling is ideal for visitors who are more experienced in snorkeling and want to witness the larger species of marine life.
- Night Snorkeling – Night snorkeling involves exploring the waters around the island at night and witnessing the nocturnal marine life that comes alive after sunset. This type of snorkeling is only offered by a few boat charters and requires prior booking.
Equipment Needed for Fishing and Snorkeling
Visitors who plan to indulge in fishing and snorkeling at Barren Island should bring appropriate equipment. For fishing, visitors will need a fishing rod, reel, bait, and fishing line. For snorkeling, visitors will need a snorkel, mask, and fins. Some boat charters may provide this equipment, but it is always best to check beforehand.
Fishing and snorkeling around Barren Island can be a thrilling experience. However, it is important to keep in mind the safety considerations to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. Some of the safety considerations to keep in mind are:
- Always wear a life jacket while fishing or snorkeling.
- Do not touch or disturb marine life, especially the coral reefs.
- Follow the instructions of the boat crew and guide.
- Carry sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- Do not consume alcohol while fishing or snorkeling.
- Carry a first-aid kit and any necessary medications.
- Ensure that the boat charter you choose is licensed and follows all safety regulations
Explore Barren Island on a Private Boat Charter
Private boat charters are a great way to explore Barren Island and indulge in activities like fishing and snorkeling. Visitors should choose a boat charter that offers a personalized experience and caters to their needs. Visitors should also keep safety measures in mind while indulging in activities on the island. With its stunning beauty and rich marine life, Barren Island is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting the Andaman Islands.